WHAT IS PHISHING?
Cybercriminals have become expert at luring people in with their emails, often impersonating well-known companies, banks and even government agencies. They may ask you to confirm your account information or log in to your account. If you take the bait, they’ve stolen your personal information.
COMMON ONLINE SCAMS
• Email Scams
• Brand spoofing (emails with fraudulent sender addresses)
• CRA Scams
REDUCE THE RISKS
Life is just a little easier when you use your computer and mobile devices to get things done online. But there are a few simple and sensible things you should do to protect yourself against risks.
- Change your passwords regularly.
- Don’t use the same password for everything.
- Do not use public wifi to access online or mobile banking.
- Do not stay signed into financial apps.
- Never click to accept an e-transfer from someone you do not know.
- Delete suspicious texts.
- Report your lost or stolen device to your carrier so they can disable your account to prevent calls, texts, and data use. Report your lost or stolen device to local law enforcement.
- Install anti-virus software to protect your data from viruses and malware. Apply security updates as soon as you receive them.
- Install anti-spyware software to keep others from gathering information about your online habits or making unauthorized changes to your computer.
- Implement a firewall to prevent unauthorized access.
- Never click on a banner ad or pop-up window that says Agree, OK or I accept.
- If an email looks suspicious, stop before you click.
- Look carefully at what it claims and think about whether it makes sense.
- Check the branding, language and spelling to judge whether it seems legitimate.
- Call the company and make sure the email came from them.
- Remember that Caisse Financial Group will never email to confirm your personal information.
- Consider reporting phishing to the Government of Canada Spam Reporting Centre at firstname.lastname@example.org. Report additional specifics such as resulting malware infection online at the Government of Canada Spam Reporting Centre.
BANK ONLINE WITH CONFIDENCE
Your Caisse uses a variety of security measures to protect your financial information when banking online.
Special encryption software scrambles your information to make sure it cannot be read or changed while being transmitted.